Monday 21 April 2014

5 Things You Didn't Know About ... Maria V. Snyder


5 Things You Didn't Know About... is a weekly Pen to Paper original feature, where each week, a different author will tell us five things we didn't previously know about them (and sometimes about their characters too!).
You can find previous 5 Things You Didn't Know About... posts by clicking HERE.

Introducing ... Maria V. Snyder

Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been happily sharing her knowledge with the current crop of MFA students. She also enjoys creating new worlds where horses and swords rule, 'cause let's face it, they're cool, although she's been known to trap her poor characters in a giant metal cube and let them figure out how to get out. Readers are welcome to check out her website for book excerpts, free short stories, maps, blog, and her schedule at her website.


I'm addicted to office supplies. Pens, paper, notebooks, highlighters...I love them all and can't go by an Office Max without stopping in.

I color-coordinate my signing pen to match the color of the book's cover. For example, if I sign the US edition of "Touch of Power" I must use a pink pen. And not just any pen - oh no! I use uni-ball's Vision Elite pens - the best of the best (IMO).

I use a regular 70 page spiral notebook (college ruled of course!) to write down characters names and descriptions, research information, timelines, revision notes, etc... for each of my novels. High tech, I'm not.


When I travel, I miss my kitty cat the most (shhh....don't tell my kids!).

I have two tubs of Play-Doh on my desk - one red and the other green, and when I'm trying to figure out a complicated scene I'm working on, I'll pull some Play-Doh out and make shapes while my mind tackles the story problem.


Touch of Power
Series: Avry of Kazan #1
Pages: 400
Publisher: Mira
Release date: 6th April 2012
Buy: Book Depository | Amazon UK | Amazon US | Waterstones

Add to Goodreads
My Review

Goodreads synopsis:
Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honoured for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince, the leader of a campaign against her people.

As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for.

Introducing ... Avry


Her mother wanted to name her Ava, but her father liked Gerry so they compromised and named her Avry.


Besides Hide and Seek, Avry was the neighborhood champion in marbles.


She snuck portions of her dinner to the family of cats who lived under their porch.


She earned money babysitting the kids in her neighborhood.


She would hide pieces of her brother's Criss' puzzles just to annoy him.
Introducing ... Kerrick


He used to sneak into his Father's council sessions because he hated not knowing what was going on.


As a kid, he worked extra hard just so he could beat Belen in sword fighting.


He can't stand the smell of roses.


He can't stand bullies and was in so many fights, his father asked Belen to keep him safe until Kerrick learned how to protect himself.


Kerrick enjoyed gardening and had planted and designed elaborate and beautiful gardens around the castle.


Other books in this series ...

 photo ScentMagic_zps63072e12.jpg  photo TasteDarkness_zpsdd79b50a.jpg

What did you think of Maria's response to 5 Things You Didn't Know About? Have you read this trilogy yet? And if not, have the 5 things about Avry and Kerrick made you want to read them (you should – they're amazing)?
Let me know in the comments below :)


1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love everything Maria V Snyder!! Great Q and A!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog - it is always appreciated!

 
Blog design installed by Sweet Dreams Design