Thursday 16 January 2014

When Mr Dog Bites by Brian Conaghan: Dylan Mint on the World


One of the books that I've been really excited about, ever since I heard of it at the New Year, is Brian Conaghan's new YA novel, When Mr Dog Bites. This follows the story of a boy called Dylan Mint, who suffers with the sometimes embarrassing condition, Tourette's syndrome. But when he overhears a conversation between his mother and the doctor at the hospital, Dylan discovers something that flips his already difficult world upside-down, and sets out to do three very important things before it happens.
This sounds like such a fantastic book, and I'm convinced it's going to be one of the most unique things I've ever read. Even from reading just the first chapter, which I did as soon as my copy arrived from the lovely people at Bloomsbury, I can tell it's going to be an awesome read!

And the really good news is, the book is released in hardback in the UK today, so you can go get yourself a copy right now!

So, I decided that I wanted to share something of this book with you. As well as sending me a copy of the book, the lovely Bloomsbury UK people also sent me a series of Dylan's observations of the world around him, and I thought there was nothing better to share with you to celebrate the release date, and get everyone excited about this unique read.
First of all, here is a bit of info about the book:


When Mr Dog Bites
Series: None
Pages: 384
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's UK
Release date: 16th January 2014
Buy: Book Depository | Amazon UK | Amazon US | Waterstones

Add to Goodreads

Goodreads synopsis:
Dylan Mint has Tourette’s. For Dylan, life is a constant battle to keep the bad stuff in – the swearing, the tics, the howling dog that escapes whenever he gets stressed. And, as a sixteen-year-old virgin and pupil at Drumhill Special School, getting stressed is something of an occupational hazard.

But then a routine visit to the hospital changes everything. Overhearing a hushed conversation between the doctor and his mother, Dylan discovers that he's going to die next March.

So he grants himself three parting wishes: three ‘Cool Things To Do Before I Cack It’.

It isn’t a long list, but it is ambitious, and he doesn't have much time. But as Dylan sets out to make his wishes come true, he discovers that nothing – and no-one – is quite as he had previously supposed.

A story about life, death, love, sex and swearing, When Mr Dog Bites will take you on one *#@! of a journey . . .

So you can see why I'm so excited about this book, right?!! The voice sounds so original and loveable, and the premise of the book, frankly, is adorable (and definitely moving). If you don't love the sound of it already, here are the Dylan Mint quotes that I'm certain will change your mind...

Scroll down to see all of Dylan's quotes ...

 photo DMonTourettes_zps8be9b1ef.jpg


 photo DMonFriendship_zps90fe5d88.jpg


 photo DMonFamily_zps72494b0c.jpg


 photo DMonWomen_zps07bff81b.jpg


 photo DMonSeduction_zpsb649930f.jpg


 photo DMonPhilosophy_zps26e858b7.jpg


 photo DMonRacism_zpsec40e1a0.jpg


 photo DM-MrDog_zpsa1bc3fd9.jpg

I'm hoping that now you can definitely see why I'm so excited about the release of this book. I have a feeling that this is going to be one of my favourites of 2014!!

What do you think of When Mr Dog Bites? Are you as excited about it as I am? And what about Dylan? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!


1 comments:

Mrs Mac. said...

Thank for "getting this out there" Dani - I am reading this for an Amazon review - Being married to a Scot it helping a lot.... some expressions are so Scottish! But don't let that put anyone off the read - it's pure dead brilliant!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog - it is always appreciated!

 
Blog design installed by Sweet Dreams Design