Friday 10 August 2012

First Page Friday #1


I'm really excited, this week, to be able to introduce Pen to Paper's brand-stinking-new (hopefully) weekly feature, First Page Friday! This really does do what it says on the tin, but just in case you missed it ... each week I will be sharing the first page of a (probably) Young Adult book, that I am particularly excited about, or have already read and loved.
I will make a point of this as well, as this is a new feature - I have had, and will have permission from the publishers for every single first page that I publish in this feature.
So yeah, without further ado, I would like to introduce you to the book that I am featuring on the very first week of this new feature!


Throne of Glass
by Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 432
Release date: 2nd August 2012
Buy: Book Dep | Amazon UK | Amazon US | Waterstones
Find on Goodreads
Read my review 

Goodreads synopsis:
Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.
In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.
Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?


The First Page




























My Thoughts...

I chose this book to be one of the first books that I would feature on First Page Friday, because it was a book that surprised me a lot (in a good way). I had been initially very excited about reading it, but once I started, I was disappointed at first. This did change however, much to my surprise, and I was so obsessed with it by the end of the book, that it's going to be a very long wait for the sequel!
I think the first page of this is a really great demonstration of Celaena's character - we get to see how tough she is, how feared, and most importantly of all, how sharply intelligent she is. I adored her character, so it's really great to re-read the first page, and recognise her immediately!

I'm really hoping that if you haven't already read this, and hadn't already added it to your wishlist, that I have managed to do so today!
Definitely leave a comment below, if you have anything at all to say about this - we all love talking about books ;)
Click here for my review


11 comments:

Books for Company said...

I always think the main thing of the page first is to draw people in and this first page has done just that! Going to add it for my GR to read =)

Dani Cotton said...

It definitely does, in this case! :)
I'm so glad that this has added it to your Goodreads :)

Dani xx

Passing Pages said...

Love it! Great idea for a meme! I think I will participate ;) I need to read this book! So glad you liked it.

Karin said...

Wow, Dani that is an awesome idea. I'm sure this feature will make my wish-list go nuts. :)
Looking forward to the books you'll present us over the weeks/months/years/eternity ;)

Chocolate Chunky Munkie said...

Excellent idea Dani! I will look forward to more First Page Fridays :D I love the FPF button, it is so cute and has some of your cute bookerflies.

Jen x

Dani Cotton said...

I'm so glad that everyone likes this so far! :)
We will be seeing lots of exciting books over the next few weeks :)

And Jen, Matt will be really pleased that you like the graphic :) He's very proud of it (as he should be!). xx

Anonymous said...

Cool! Nice Concept too! :)

Cathrine

www.cathrine-garnell.blogspot.co.uk
www.bionicbasil.blogspot.co.uk

caroline.taylor078 said...

Great new idea Dani, sometimes books really grab you from the first page so hopefully you'll inspire me with some new books!

Jenn @ Owl Read It said...

I love this new feature! I really enjoy books that get your attention right from the first page.

I can't wait to read this one!

DMS said...

What a fun feature! I love it! I am very curious about this book and the first page made me want to read it even more. I liked your honest review and the fact that you didn't like it as much at first, but then came to love it. Thanks for sharing. :)
~Jess

Randi M said...

Love this new feature! :) Now I'm even more anxious to get my hands on Throne of Glass! I'm glad you ended up really liking it. Great feature!

Randi @ Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog - it is always appreciated!

 
Blog design installed by Sweet Dreams Design