Thursday 19 January 2012

The Time Will Come #15

Every Thursday, Books for Company hosts a meme in which we will post a book we really want to read, or have been meaning to take off our shelves and read for a while.

Want to join in?
  • Pick a book you have been meaning to read.
  • Do a post telling us about this book.
  • Link up the post in the Linky
  • Visit the other blogs!

Before I start, I'm going to apologise for having not posted this in a while. As I've said on other posts, I'm still trying to get everything back on track.


The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Goodreads synopsis:
In the good old days, magic was powerful, unregulated by government, and even the largest spell could be woven without filling in the magic release form B1-7g. But somewhere, somehow, the magic started draining away.

Jennifer Strange runs Kazam!, an employment agency for state-registered magicians, soothsayers and sorceresses. But work is drying up. Drain cleaner is cheaper and quicker than a spell. Why trust a cold and drafty magic carpet when jetliners offer a comfy seat and an in-flight movie? And now potions are eligible for VAT...

But then the visions start. The Last Dragon is going to be killed by a Dragonslayer at 12.00 on Sunday. The death will unleash untold devastation on the UnUnited Kingdom, setting principality against dukedom and property developer against homesteader. And all the signs are pointing to Jennifer Strange, and saying"Big Magic is coming!"

The Last Dragonslayer is fizzing with all the creativity and genius Jasper Fforde's fans delight in, and will appeal as much to the young at heart as to the younger readers for whom it is written.


LinkI absolutely adore Jasper Fforde, and this is his first YA series, so I won't be able to resist it for much longer! It will be my younger brother's copy of the book that I'll be reading, so a thanks in advance to him! I'm paying him back though - I'm off to the Fforde Ffiesta in Swindon, in June, with Jenny from Chocolate Chunky Munkie, so I'll be able to hopefully get his books signed for him. I met Jasper back in 2009 at a Shades of Grey signing, and got that and The Eyre Affair signed, so I feel like it's my brother's turn to have signed books!
The Fforde Ffiesta is also the reason I am posting this one as this week's The Time Will Come - I'm extremely excited about the event, so how could I fail to post about one of his?

Anyway, I can't wait to read it - I reckon it's going to be a good one!

Which books are you planning to read soon, that have been on that pesky TBR pile for far too long? Let me know in the comments :)

1 comments:

Shah Wharton said...

Your linky isn't working. Although I didn't come for this in particular. Just came to nose around and say hi. I've been away for a while and busy for what seems like forever, and it won't get any quieter, so ill with flu I'm taking five minutes before dinner to pop around to some yummy bloggers. Hope you're cool. Shah .X

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog - it is always appreciated!

 
Blog design installed by Sweet Dreams Design