Sunday 30 October 2011

In my Mailbox #8

This week I have been good and not bought any more physical books, I don't think my bookshelves could take any more books at the moment. I have however had a couple of review eBooks that I can share with you all!

Fury's Fire by Lisa Papademetriou
Goodreads synopsis:
At the end of Siren's Storm, the Sirens were defeated, and now the town of Walfang is once again a peaceful beach community.

Or is it? Gretchen and Will are still haunted by the memories of the night the Sirens were destroyed—Gretchen because she can't remember what happened and Will because he doesn't know how to tell Gretchen what he saw. He doesn't even understand what he saw, but he does know now that Gretchen is more than what she seems, more than a human girl. And at the same time, he is more in love with her than ever.

Gretchen knows there's something wrong, too. She feels like an alien in her own body, but she doesn't know why. And she feels a presence stalking her at every turn. Have the Sirens returned to Walfang? Or has some other force come to claim her?


This is one of three galleys that I received this week - the expected publication is July 2012. I'm yet to read Siren's Storm, but I am looking forward to reading both of these when I get round to them. Siren's are not characters that I have read much (or anything) about in fiction at all, so this will be something new to me. Definitely something to look forward to.

On a Dark Wing by Jordan Dane
Goodreads synopsis:
"The choices I had made led to the moment when fate took over. I would learn a lesson I wasn’t prepared for.
And Death would be my willing teacher."

Five years ago Abbey Chandler cheated Death. She survived a horrific car accident, but her lucky break came at the expense of her mother’s life and changed everything. After she crossed paths with Death—by taking the hand of an ethereal boy made of clouds and sky—she would never be normal again.

Now she’s the target of Death’s Ravens and an innocent boy’s life is on the line. When Nate Holden—Abbey’s secret crush—starts to climb Alaska’s Denali, the Angel of Death is with him because of her.

Abbey finds out the hard way that Death never forgets
.

This is the second of the galleys I received this week, and again I'm excited about reading this one - it sounds like just my kind of YA read. Possibly an easy read, but with a dark twist.
Keep an eye out for a review of this one very soon!
Published December 2011.

Dark Vow by Shona Husk
Goodreads synopsis:
Jaines Cord plans to kill the man who murdered her husband, even though killing a Bounty Hunter is said to be impossible. One bullet took away her livelihood, her home and her love. One bullet made by her. Fired from the gun she completed for the Arcane Bounty Hunter.

Obsidian wears the scars of disobeying the powerful Arcane Union. He barely escaped with his life and now lives quietly, in a town the lawmen forgot. When Jaines arrives asking too many questions, he's faced with a decision. Help her or run…again. Obsidian knows that if he flees he'll always be looking over his shoulder. His name is one of the first on the Bounty Hunter's death list.

Yet when Obsidian is offered an opportunity to stop the stone taking over his body in exchange for retrieving the gun, he asks Jaines for her help. Now Jaines must choose: a dead man's vengeance or a living man's hope?

This is the third and final galley I received this week - and is probably the most intriguing of the three, simply because we're taken completely out of our world and placed entirely into fantasy. These kinds of fantasy novels are the ones that I have to be in the right mood to read because it often takes a little more concentration to begin with to understand what is happening as you learn about the characters' world, but I know that it will make an interesting read once involved in the story.
Due for publication on November 14th 2011.

Cedardale Court by Nathan Lee Christensen
Goodreads synopsis:
Cedardale Court is a neo-gothic murder mystery with enough fools and old flames to keep you happily mixed up for most of a long weekend. When Canner Connelly and his daughter, Chloe, move in with their Uncle Henry, and a simple drainage problem turns a normal Sunday morning into a slightly darker affair, it's not easy to tell where everyone might end up, or if they'll even make it at all.

This one was sent to me by the author for review, and it's one I'm particularly intrigued about because there isn't too much of a synopsis. I always find that when I read a novel without reading the synopsis, I find a little more intriguing than I perhaps would have done had I read a little more about the book before I started. That was every aspect of the plot is a surprise, and you're often kept guessing right from the very beginning.
I'm definitely intrigued to discover what the Sunday morning dark affair is, and certainly looking forward to reading and reviewing this one! Thank you to Nathan for the eBook copy!

Jenny Pox by JL Bryan
Goodreads synopsis:
Jenny has a secret. Her touch spreads a supernatural plague.

She devotes her life to avoiding contact with people, until her senior year of high school, when she meets the one boy she can touch, and she falls in love.

But there's a problem--he's under the spell of his devious girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.

Now Jenny must learn to use the deadly "Jenny pox" she's fought her entire life to hide, or be destroyed by Ashleigh's ruthless plans.

Not recommended for readers under sixteen due to mature content.

This is one that I found on Amazon for Kindle for free this week, and it sounds like a wonderful read. Will hopefully get round to this one when my pile of review books is slightly smaller!

6 comments:

Vicky @ A Backpack Full of Adventures said...

On a Dark Wing and Cedardale sound very interesting!
Great books :)
Hope you had a great week - and Happy Halloween!
Vicky xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see Cedardale showing up on a few blogs! I couldn't accept the offer since I don't have an e-reader. Can't wait to see what you think of it?

Jess said...

Jenny Pox sounds pretty cool. I've seen it around and never knew what it was about. I can't believe it is free.

Books And Sensibility IMM

Alison Can Read said...

Great set! I keep meaning to pick up Jenny Pox.
My IMM

Anonymous said...

Cool books this week i hope you enjoy everything! Come check out my IMM!!

http://paigebradish1996.blogspot.com/2011/10/in-my-mailbox-9.html

Giselle said...

I got ON A Dark Wing last week as well I'm really curious about it. Great haul!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog - it is always appreciated!

 
Blog design installed by Sweet Dreams Design