Saturday 3 September 2011

Source Code


My family and I decided tonight that we would head down to blockbusters and rent a film to watch. It's rare that we're all in the house together and have the chance to do this, so it makes a nice change.
On heading down to rent a DVD, this one immediately jumped out at me. I remembered seeing it advertised, but as I'm not a fan of going to the cinema, it kind of passed me by. So we decided to rent it.
After watching it, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. It's possible to say that this is the best film I've seen since I went to see Never Let Me Go at the cinema closer to the beginning of the year (I know I said I don't like the cinema, but Never Let Me Go is one of my all-time favourite novels, so of course I had to go and see it as soon as it was released - and for those interested, it is the best novel adaptation I have ever seen).

Jake Gyllenhaal plays Colter Stevens, a soldier who wakes up in a cell, shortly after a train he wasn't supposed to be on explodes. Disorientated and believing he should still be in Afghanistan with the rest of his troops, he begins to piece together what is happening with the help of Goodwin, a woman speaking to him on a screen. She tells him about Source Code, a computer programme that allows him to tap into the final 8 minutes of the life of one of the victims of the train explosion, Shaun, in order to discover where the bomb was hidden and who the bomber was in order to stop any further terrorist attacks from occurring after the train wreck. On the train he meets Christina (played by the wonderful Michelle Monaghan), whom he begins to fall for, and is determined to save from the blast, despite Goodwin and Dr. Rutledge (Source Code's inventor) assurances that this is not possible.

This is all I shall say about the plot, as I don't want to give anything away about the film, but I will say that the film is a must. It's exciting, gripping and utterly compelling - Gyllenhaal plays his part exceptionally well - it would be difficult for any other actor to better him in this role. An hour and a half of perfection.

1 comments:

Danielle said...

I really liked this movie! Even though it was kind of confusing at times. I also waited until it came on DVD to see it :D

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog - it is always appreciated!

 
Blog design installed by Sweet Dreams Design